Settled c1784. Terminus of the D&N's Andes Branch which opened for business
in 1907 and was abandoned just eighteen years later. The town had two
creameries. One was built by the railroad and the other, the Andes Cooperative
Creamery, was built by local interests in 1915. Area dotted by cauliflower
farms. 1910 pop: 414.
On West Branch of Delaware River and the O&W. Originally known as Cadosia
Summit. 1910 pop: 75.
On the D&N. First named Lumberville. The word arena
is Latin for "sand" and the town was renamed for the area's sand quarries.
Had a barrel stave factory. The Risley Lumber Company maintained a saw
mill here to supply its large wood acid and lumber operation in Rock Rift.
The butter produced by an Arena dairyman won first prize at the 1893 Chicago
World's Fair. A creamery was built by the railroad. This was later bought
by local citizens and became the "Arena Creamery Company." Site now beneath
Pepacton Reservoir. 1910 pop: 200.
area was settled in 1792 and was originally called Dean's Corners.
At the junction of the Ulster & Delaware and the Delaware & Northern railroads.
An acid plant, bought by George I. Treyz in 1898, was located near the
junction. It was sold to the Luzerne Chemical Company in 1905. As the
Arkville Chemical Company, the factory was out of business by 1916. Served
by the D&N. Elevation: 1,372 ft. 1910 pop: 430.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River and the O&W. The wood acid plant
here was built in 1888 by the Walton Acetate Company. By 1910, the factory
was operated by Messrs. Brandt and Sherman. It later passed into the hands
of the Quinn family. When the plant was demolished in 1924, it had been
operating under the name of the Beerston Acetate Company. The town also
had a bluestone yard and a creamery. The area is now beneath the waters
of Cannonsville Reservoir. 1910 pop: 150.
the West Branch of the Delaware River and the U&D. Center of a highly
productive dairy district. Bloomville's Sheffield milk facility contained
the first milk pasteurization plant built in the country. Elevation: 1,493
feet. 1910 pop: 350.
Settled in 1792. Town named in honor of the farm animal that supplied
the area's dairy industry. Cauliflower farms. 1910 pop: 25.
On Campbell Brook, south of Peakville, a station stop on the O&W. Settlement's
name was derived from the basic function of the wood acid plant that was
located here. It was operated by a Mr. Buckley from 1888 to 1898 and later
became the Brandt Chemical Company. 1910 pop: 75.
West of Cooks Falls and east of Horton, on the O&W. Acid plant built here
by Eugene King burned in June 1888, was rebuilt, and was later bought
by local entrepreneur, George I. Treyz. Railroad suspension bridge constructed
in 1911 by John A. Roebling's Sons Company of Trenton, NJ to connect Treyz's
acid factory, saw mill, and planing mill on Russell Brook to the O&W,
which ran on the other side of the Beaver Kill. Treyz's narrow gauge railroad
traveled five miles up Russell Brook to harvest timber and to serve the
above complex. The bridge could not support the weight of the gasoline-powered
engines, so horses were used to pull the cars across. Treyz's Russell
Brook facilities closed in 1925. Another enterprise, the Cook's Falls
Dye Works, was located about halfway up Russell Brook along the narrow
gauge railroad by Treyz's friend, Dr. Hans Bruning. This company supplied
most of the khaki dye used for uniforms during World War I and closed
down during the late 1940s.
On the East Branch of the Delaware River and the O&W. The Thomas Keery
Company acid factory and wood alcohol refinery was sited about three miles
north of town on Cadosia Creek. Later added a formaldehyde plant. All
closed in 1945. The refinery and formaldehyde-making equipment was salvaged
by the George I. Treyz Company to upgrade its acid complex at Horton.
Also home to the Cadosia Manufacturing Company. Its turning mill produced
flag poles and scrub brush blocks. Anthracite coal storage yard for O&W.
1910 pop: 500.
Area dotted by bluestone quarries. Active shipping point for stone along
the route of the D&N.
Chiloway (a/k/a Chilaway and Chilloway)
On the Beaver Kill between Horton and Peakville, a flagstop on the O&W.
Shipping center for logs needed at the nearby acid factories. 1910 pop:
On the East Branch of the Delaware River between Shinhopple and Downsville.
On the D&N. Town founded in 1766 by Russel Gregory. 1910 pop: 40.
the Beaver Kill west of Roscoe and east of Horton, along the O&W. A large
bluestone dock and creamery were located near the station. This town served
as the headquarters for the multi-faceted George I. Treyz Company. The
wood alcohol, finished lumber, charcoal, and acetate of lime produced
by his complex on Russell Brook at Butternut Grove across the river, were
shipped from here. 1910 pop: 401.
Originally known as "Campbell's Flats." On the East Branch of the Delaware
River and the D&N between Gregorytown to the west and Downsville to the
east. Wood acid factory and mill town built by the firm of Corbett & Stuart
in 1912, said to be the largest acid plant ever built. It closed in February
1934. The complex contained a saw mill that was capable of producing 40,000
feet of lumber a day. This mill remained in operation until 1948. The
Corbett & Stuart facility maintained three miles of rail sidings. A Shay
locomotive was used to switch the plant. The settlement also hosted the
Johnson & Rhodes Bluestone Company.
On Charlotte Creek east of Oneonta and west of Stamford, on the U&D. The
town was named in honor of John Davenport (1597-1670), an influential
Puritan clergyman from New Haven, CT. A large percentage of Delaware County's
early residents came from Connecticut. Hops were grown in this area. 1910
West of Delhi and east of Walton. Originally called "Lansingville." O&W
milk receiving station. The local McDermott Dairy Company creamery was
later bought by Sheffield Farms. 1910 pop: 202.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River north of Walton and south of
Stamford. Settled before 1797. Delhi is the seat of Delaware County. Home
to the Delaware Academy, founded in 1820 (now operating as Delhi State
College). By 1824, the Delaware Woolen Factory Company was processing
the raw wool obtained from area sheep farms into fabric. Other town industries
included a wagon works, a silk mill, feed mills, a sugar refinery, a lumber
company, a Cooperative Dairy creamery, and a Borden's creamery, all situated
within walking distance of the station. It has been said that more milk
and cream were shipped from the Delhi (O&W) depot than from any other
single station in the country. 1910 pop: 1,736.
On the Batavia Kill northeast of Kelly Corners on the road to Vega. Large
dairy farms, pastureland, and some summer boarding houses. Local area
was logged and there was a saw mill here.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River and the Erie Railroad. Settled
in 1785, incorporated in 1811. Ground was broken here for the New York
& Erie Railroad (predecessor to the Erie) on November 7, 1835. Deposit
developed around the logging industry. Logs were concentrated here, hence
its original name, "Port Deposit", and then lashed together to form "rafts."
These rafts, usually measuring fifty feet wide by 100 feet long, were
floated down the Delaware River to be marketed in Philadelphia. Log rafting
reached its peak in 1875 when 3,000 rafts made the trip. 1910 pop: 1,864.
the D&N, at the east end of what would become Pepacton Reservoir. The
village hosted a shingle mill, a grist mill, and a large bluestone quarry.
Its creamery, built by the D&N, was eventually sold to Breakstone Brothers.
1910 pop: 550.
On the D&N, west of Margaretville at the east end of Pepacton Reservoir.
Had a creamery that was most likely built by the railroad soon after its
completion. Local area farms dedicated to the growing of cauliflower.
1910 pop: 101.
at the confluence of the East Branch of the Delaware River and the Beaver
Kill. At the junction of the O&W and the D&N railroads. A foundry, a saw
mill, and an excelsior mill (a facility that produced wood shavings used
as packing material) were located here. Shipping point for bluestone,
lumber, and area wood chemical industry products. Later the site of a
Socony Oil branch station which stored oil, gasoline, and kerosene in
aboveground tanks. 1910 pop: 301.
On the U&D. Site (1912) of the famous Merridale Farms, a 1,500-acre
dairy farm. Home to the c1820 Hanford's Mills complex which contained
a saw mill, a grist mill, and a turning mill. It has been preserved as
a museum. Elevation: 1,353 feet. 1910 pop: 301.
Elk Brook (or "Elkbrook")
On the Beaver Kill west of Horton and east of Peakville, along the route
of the O&W. Site of a wood acid plant operated by the Arthur Leighton
Company. It closed in 1926. Large bluestone dock. 1910 pop: 201.
On the East Branch of the Delaware River and the O&W. Embarkation point
for early log-rafting down the Delaware River to Philadelphia markets.
Contained two wood acid factories. The "upper" plant, located about two
miles south of the settlement on Fish Creek, in an area now known as "Luzerne",
was built by George I. and Gottlieb H. Treyz. It was sold in 1905 to the
Luzerne Chemical Company and continued in business until about 1932. The
other acid plant was built in the village and was operated by the Thomas
Keery Company. It closed in 1922. Bluestone, lumber, tan bark, and railroad
ties were also shipped out of Fish's Eddy on the O&W. 1910 pop: 225.
the U&D west of Highmount and east of Arkville. Formerly called Griffin's
Corners and then "Fleischmann's Siding." A native of Cincinnati, Charles
F. Fleischmann had already made his fortune from the yeast and gin trade
when he built a magnificent estate here in 1883. Fleischmann ushered his
distinguished guests over the U&D in the comfort of his own private railroad
car which was switched to a siding when not in use. Charles (who would
become a U.S. senator), and relatives, Julius, and Louis Fleischmann (the
latter being the "Vienna Bread" king and New York City restauranteur),
greatly contributed to the growth of the village, both financially and
socially. Site (1893) of the Kaufman Dairy and Ice Cream Company creamery.
Elevation: 1,519 feet. 1910 pop: 201.
South of Oneonta on Ouleout Creek. Had a large creamery with an ice house,
and a paper mill. Most likely shipped out of the town of Franklin Depot
(Franklin on the O&W) just a few miles to the southwest. Site of
the Delaware Literary Institute founded in 1835. 1910 pop: 473.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River, southwest of Delhi and northeast
of Delancey. A flagstop on the O&W's Delhi Branch. Depot name, Frasers.
Large O&W milk receiving station. Had a creamery.
Moresville after John More, the first European settler to enter the
area in 1786. Current name derived from the defile between Irish Mountain
on the east and Bald Mountain on the west, at the headwaters of the East
Branch of the Delaware River. The Ulster & Delaware Railroad passed through
this notch. Dairy district and tourist haven. Elevation: 1,563 feet. 1910
the East Branch of the Delaware River, south of Roxbury and north of Kelly
Corners. On the U&D. Farm and dairy area. Had a creamery. Around 1907,
the U&D built a huge ice house along the shore of Lake Wawaka, and was
reported to be planning to use the boiler of recently-scrapped Engine
16 to power it. Elevation: 1,403 feet. 1910 pop: 120.
On the east bank of the Delaware River southeast of Deposit and northwest
On the Erie Railroad. Had an acid plant. 1910 pop: 200.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River, east of Walton and west
of Delhi and Delancey. Along route of O&W which maintained a large milk
receiving station here. Borden's built a condensed milk plant in 1910.
Village also hosted the CoOperative Creamery. 1910 pop: 375.
At the confluence of the East and West branches of the Delaware River.
On the Erie and O&W railroads. O&W had a milk station here. 1910 pop:
Founded in 1771 by Colonel John Harper of Albany, three years after
buying a large tract of land (100,000 acres) from the local Minisink (or
"Delaware") Indians. By the early 1880s, this town contained five grist
mills, two foundries, five saw mills, and four cooperages, but was by-passed
by the U&D. Elevation: 1,752 ft. 1910 pop: 50.
On the East Branch of the Delaware River, west of Shinhopple and east
of Centerville. On the D&N. Wood acid factory built in 1890 on Baxter
Brook by Corbett & Stuart. Factory closed in 1910. Also had a saw mill.
1910 pop: 100.
Hawley (Railroad name, Hawleys)
On the West Branch of the Delaware River, southwest of Hamden and east
of Colchester. A flagstop on the O&W's Delhi Branch. Had a creamery and
a saw mill.
Waterville. On the West Branch of the Delaware River, southwest
of Stamford and northeast of Bloomville. On the U&D. Had a grist mill
by 1790. By the late 1880s, Hobart was shipping an average of 150 cans
of milk to New York City each day. Local residents harvested maple sap
and processed it into syrup. Elevation: 1,637 feet. 1910 pop: 544.
At the confluence of Horton Brook and the Beaver Kill, east of East Branch
and west of Roscoe. On the O&W. George I. Treyz and L. A. Treyz built
an acid factory here in 1898 to produce charcoal and methanol. The firm
owned 25,000 acres of woodland in this general area to supply it. The
plant burned in 1925 but was rebuilt. A formaldehyde facility was added.
Under the management of "Treyz & Smith," the complex closed in 1949 after
the formaldehyde plant burned. The remaining buildings were sold to the
Susquehanna Chemical Company who operated the plant and produced charcoal
until 1967, the last acid factory to operate in New York State. 1910 pop:
On the East Branch of the Delaware River, north of Roxbury and south of
More Settlement. On the U&D. Farm and dairy district.
South of Andes on the Tremper Kill. Flagstop on the D&N. Had a creamery.
Kelly Corners (or Kelly's Corners)
At the junction of East Branch of the Delaware River and the Batavia Kill,
north of Margaretville and south of Halcottville. On the U&D. Extensive
dairy farming area. Had a creamery. Harvested ice from local ponds. Elevation:
1,380 feet. 1910 pop: 90.
Kerryville (or Keeryville or Kerrys)
South of Piersons and north of Cadosia on Cadosia Creek. Site of first
acid factory in Delaware County, built in 1876 by Abraham and Thomas Keery.
This plant burned sixty cords of wood a day to make charcoal. A refinery
was added later to produce 99% wood alcohol. (One cord of wood yielded
an average of fifty bushels of charcoal, ten gallons of alcohol, and 200
pounds of acetate of lime.) The entire facility closed in 1930.
Kortright (or Kortright Station)
On the U&D north of Bloomville and southeast of Oneonta. Named for the
Indian fighter, Captain Benjamin Kortright. Extensive dairy region. Elevation:
1,868 feet. 1910 pop: 125.
On the East Branch of the Delaware River, north of East Branch and southwest
of Harvard. On the D&N and originally known as "Centerville." Site of
an acid factory operated by Corbett & Stuart.
On the Delaware River, south of Hancock and north of Long Eddy. On the
Erie Railroad. Named for Eleazor Lord of Piermont, NY, who created the
idea for and acted as the first president of the New York and Erie Railroad
(the ERR's founding entity). 1910 pop: 200.
the East Branch of the Delaware River, at the northeastern end of Pepacton
Reservoir. Area settled by Huguenots (French) as early as 1763. Located
on the D&N, Margaretville was the site of its engine terminal, yards,
and shops. The Kaufman Dairy and Ice Cream Company creamery operated here
in 1893. Another local creamery, built by a Mr. Jordan, was bought by
Arthur Brundage and Hosea Barnhart and renamed the "B&B Creamery." This
facility was later taken over by the Dairymen's League. Cauliflower farms.
Elevation: 1,320 feet. 1910 pop: 669.
South of Sidney, north of Deposit, east of Bainbridge, and west of Walton.
Had a grist mill, a saw mill, and a planing mill. 1910 pop: 350.
On Trout Brook south of Peakville. As the settlement's name suggests,
wood alcohol factories were its reason for being. The first plant was
built by Messrs. Hammond and Fish to produce methanol and acetate. Another
factory was operated by the "Acid King," the Arthur Leighton Company,
from 1890 to 1912. 1910 pop: 50.
On the Plattekill River east of Andes, west of Halcottville, and north
of Dunraven. Had a cider mill c1875. Harvested sap for maple syrup. Area
known for growing cauliflower. 1910 pop: 90.
Southeast of Sidney and northwest of Walton. First known as North Walton,
its name was changed after the coming of the railroad. General site of
the steep grade (created by the Delaware and Susquehanna river watersheds)
that was originally conquered by the O&W's "Zig Zag" switchbacks, later
replaced by the Northfield Tunnel. Had a milk receiving station and a
bluestone dock. 1910 pop: 100.
On the Beaver Kill, east of East Branch and west of Elk Brook and Horton.
Called Trout Brook on the O&W. There were two acid factory complexes
here. The first, or "upper," plant was located about a mile south of town
along Trout Brook creek. This facility was operated by Corbett & Stuart
between 1894 and 1928. The second, or "lower," acid plant was built by
C. W. Peake in 1898 and was nearly adjacent to the O&W's mainline. This
plant also contained a saw mill. The Peake family further increased its
income by gathering and selling native ferns. The lower acid factory ceased
operations in 1934. Had an extensive bluestone yard and was an active
shipping point for same. 1910 pop: 200.
On the D&N between Downsville and Shavertown. Had a creamery that was
later leased to the Borden Milk Company. Still later, it was bought by
Messrs. Barnhart and Brundage and became the B&B Creamery. Site of town
now beneath the waters of Pepacton Reservoir. 1910 pop: 25.
Located on the West Branch of the Delaware River, north of Beerston and
south of Walton. Known as "Pine's Switch" on the O&W. Site of Bartlett
Brothers saw mill and its Pine Glen Railroad, a logging road built up
Pine's Brook. Lumber and bluestone shipping point.
On Cadosia Creek and the O&W south of Apex and north of Cadosia. Site
of a large saw mill owned by the Pierson family.
West of Linden and north of East Branch. Hosted the Tyler & Hall Chemical
Company's wood acid plant, established in 1886. Products were transported
by wagon to Fish's Eddy and shipped out on the O&W. This acid factory
closed in 1920. There is little left of the town today. 1910 pop: 200.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River, south of Walton. On the O&W.
Elaphiet DeNio operated an early acid factory here. A saw mill and an
extensive lumber yard were located just west of the station. This was
owned by the Risley Lumber Company, headquartered in Walton. The company
later diversified by building an acid plant that produced charcoal, acetate
of lime, and wood alcohol. Also was a shipping point for bluestone. The
O&W maintained a milk station here. Parts of the town are now beneath
the waters of Cannonsville Reservoir. 1910 pop: 200.
Located between Grand Gorge and Halcottville, on the East Branch of the
Delaware River. On the U&D. Hometown of John Burroughs, the naturalist,
and birthplace of Jay Gould, the financier and railroad magnate. Summer
retreat and dairy region. The first fluid milk creamery in the area was
financed here by Samuel Coykendall of the Ulster & Delaware, who also
rain a paint factory for a period. Delaware Valley Creamery and a feed
mill were sited here. Elevation: 1,495 feet. 1910 pop: 499.
the D&N. Home to an excelsior factory. An acid plant was built in 1916-17
by the Merritt brothers, local lumbermen. Operations ended within a few
years. The Hulbert Creamery was in business before the railroad arrived.
The D&N later replaced this facility with its own. Another creamery, the
Dan Franklin, was built here in 1920 and eventually became part of the
Dairymen's League. Area known for growing cauliflower. Site of town now
beneath Pepacton Reservoir. 1910 pop: 125.
Village east of Harvard and west of Downsville, on the East Branch of
the Delaware River and the D&N. The firm of Finch & Ross built an acid
factory on the opposite side of Trout Brook, about one mile from the station.
It was later sold to L. B. Corbett, a nephew of Julius Corbett of Corbett
& Stuart. Shipped bluestone. 1910 pop: 26.
First known as "Sidney Plains." On the Susquehanna River, west of Unadilla
and east of Bainbridge. On the O&W and the D&H railroads. The Sidney Silk
Mill was founded here in 1893. It was later taken over by the Julius Kayser
Company. Some of Sidney's other employers were the Cortland Cart and Carriage
Company (whose building was subsequently used by the Hatfield Automobile
Company), a foundry, a paper mill, a glass works, cigar factories, a knitting
mill, a sash and blind company, and bluestone quarries. The French Cheese
Company was established in 1901, the only French-run facility in this
country to make Brie and Camembert cheeses. It became the Phoenix Cheese
Factory in 1906. The O&W had built a creamery here in 1896. Sidney also
served as a distribution point for anthracite coal on both the O&W and
D&H. 1910 pop: 2,507.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River and the U&D, southwest of Hobart
and northeast of Bloomville. The area was settled by immigrants from Scotland
and Ireland. Rich dairy region. Elevation: 1,527 feet. 1910 pop: 101.
near the headwaters of the West Branch of the Delaware River by former
residents of Stamford, CT. On the U&D, west of Grand Gorge and northwest
of Hobart. Extremely popular resort village. Elevation: 1,790 feet. 1910
On the East Branch of the Delaware River and the U&D, north of Halcottville
and south of Roxbury. Dairy district. Elevation: 1,456 feet.
Village located on Trout Creek, north of Rock Royal, east of Masonville,
and west of Walton. A "dry milk" plant operated here. 1910 pop: 151.
On the East Branch of the Delaware River between Fish's Eddy and Cadosia.
Referred to as "Tyler's Switch" on the O&W. During the late 1880s or early
1890s, the Thomas Keery Company built a small wood acid plant in nearby
Tar Hollow. It was later sold to the Arthur Leighton Company who ran it
for twenty years. Logs were shipped from Tyler's to fuel a downstate brick
works. Very active blue-stone trade.
Between Arena and Shavertown on the D&N. Primarily a farming area, small
saw and planing mills were built by the locals to add to their income.
Site of town is now beneath Pepacton Reservoir. 1910 pop: 201.
On the West Branch of the Delaware River, southwest of Delhi, northeast
of Deposit, and southeast of Sidney. On the O&W. This agricultural and
dairy region was settled c1785 by people from Long Island. In the 1830s,
Josiah Jones established a furniture factory whose tables, chests, and
desks, constructed of highly desirable cherry, were sold in Philadelphia.
This business faded after only ten years. Walton was incorporated in 1851.
Two years later, it became the home of the Walton Academy. The Ogden Woolen
Mill was operating before the start of the Civil War. In 1900, the Anglo-Swiss
Condensed Milk Company built a plant that was later bought by Borden's,
who, at the time, had its own milk condensary in Walton. The latter was
eventually sold to Sheffield Farms. Founded in 1901, the Munn Piano Factory
manufactured "Old Delaware Beauty" pianos. Out of business by 1919, its
buildings were converted to silk production by the Julius Kayser Company
of Sidney. The Walton Novelty Works made toys, sleds, and baby carriages
from 1876 until the 1930s. This bustling town also contained a foundry,
machine shops, feed mills, a saw mill and lumber yard, bakeries, leather
factories, a bluestone quarry, and the Tobey & Warner Tannery. 1910 pop:
East of Sidney. Site of an O&W milk receiving station, a Borden's milk
plant, a local creamery, and a farm supply and feed dealer. 1910 pop: